Color: Light cream
Ruling: Dot Grid 5mm
Paper Weight: 100 gsm
Sheet Count: 50 & 100
Price: £6.99 and £13.99
Where to buy: Darkstar
No packaging, which is generally ok. Both notebooks arrived a bit beat up via the mail. The MK3 had a pretty dinged up corner, which bent almost all the pages in that bottom corner. However, I can live with the dings if it means less waste.
Before getting to the paper, I'll point out one or two things. Both notebooks lie flat, without having to crack the spine. This makes it easier to write from end to end, and make use of all the paper. I really like this.
The kraft covers on the original A5 are very thin and got torn very early in its life with me. I reported this to Darkstar, along with others, and now the improved MK3 has a thicker, more durable cover. They are not rigid, but they add a bit of structure to the notebooks. They do not tear easily.
- Simple design that works.
- The company listens to feedback to improve their notebooks.
- Fountain pen friendly paper:
- No feathering
- Very minimal bleed through (with excessive ink application)
- Shading, particles, sheen - all visible!
- Covers are blank canvasses for decorating and personalizing.
- Notebooks lie flat.
- Portable, convenient size.
- Dot grid is not visually obstructive.
- Great for writing, drawing, journaling, doodling, sketching, lettering, and more.
- Great for flex pens and calligraphy practice.
- Stock varies, so they're not always available.
- As the reported issues are fixed, I don't have much to complain about.
I received this item free of charge for the purposes of this review. I was not compensated monetarily for my review. Everything you've read here is my own opinion.