Thank you to the kind folks at ENSSO for sending this pair over for me to check out.
Pen Uno is a space-grade aluminum pen for the Hi-Tec C Coleto ink cartridge that also transforms into a mechanical pencil. Pen Uno and Pencil Uno are perhaps the most minimal and thinnest writing instruments in the market. The design aims to be elegant and discreet focusing on the details and essential components. - ENSSO on Kickstarter
Body Material: Aluminum
Cap: Threaded, stays attached
PEN Length (capped): 143.0 mm/5.63"
Length ("uncapped"): 136.0 mm/5.35"
PENCIL Length (capped): 148.2 mm/5.83"
Length ("uncapped"):140.7 mm/5.54"
Barrel Diameter: 5.0 mm/0.19"
Section Diameter: 7.9 mm/0.31"
Weight (all): 7.5 gm / 0.26 oz
Fill type: Pilot Hi-Tec-C Coleto & 0.5 mm mechanical pencil lead
Price: $25.00 USD +
Where to buy: Kickstarter
The Pen Uno & Pencil Uno were each presented in a narrow, clear plastic tube. The tubes are only wide enough to house each writing utensil. There are two ENSSO stickers sealing each end. I like this kind of packaging. I think there is minimal waste here, and it complements the minimalistic design.
PERFORMANCE & FEEL
The Pencil Uno has 0.5 mm lead in it. The leads are held in a very narrow metal tube inside the barrel of the pencil. The Pen Uno has a small screw at the back. To transform the pen into a standard 0.5mm mechanical pencil, you just have to switch two components. The pencil works well, and of course, you can put in different grades of lead and different colors, too. It can only hold a few pieces of lead at a time, so you may need to keep some extra lead with you, depending on how much you write.
If you buy this and then complain the pen is too thin, you probably should have seen that coming. It's slim. The section is slim. In hand, both are slim. Pen Uno and the Pencil Uno are very light and slender. The section is not slippery, nor are the barrels. So, once in hand, they will not slip around.
- Affordable for such a neat utensil. Come on. We've spent more on weirder things.
- Available in several colors.
- Perfect for keeping in the side pocket of your laptop sleeve!
- Functional, useful refills.
- No caps to lose.
- You can get a matching pen & pencil set.
- Simple, convenient packaging.
- Easy to use.
- VERY slim! Not really suitable for long writing sessions, or for those who have really tight grips.
- Although very nice, the Hi-Tec-C- Coleto refills do not last very long. They are also on the pricy side, especially considering the amount of ink in them.
- Cap threading takes too many turns for it to be a grab and write, quick note taker.
- Cap threading is a bit rough, and a bit squeaky.
- What if you lose parts? Are they replaceable?
Interesting. I would never have looked twice at this on Kickstarter, so I'm happy to have the opportunity to review them and share with you. These are super cute, dainty if pink and cool and minimalist if NOT pink! The design is simple but well executed. There isn't much that can break, although the cap is rough. Replacing parts could be an issue if you lose them - the little components are quite small. For me, these will spend their lives in the pocket of my laptop sleeve - perfect for quick doodles and notes, not for extended use.
I received this item free of charge for the purposes of this review. I was not compensated monetarily for my review. Everything you've read here is my own opinion.