Size: 150 mm x 210 mm
Sheet Count: 96
Weight: 85 gsm
Price: €55.00 (excluding VAT €45.45)
Where to buy: Appelboom Pennen
This fine notebook by Montblanc is quite attractive. I love the size of it - it doesn't look so big that it's overwhelming. The cover is a soft and flexible leather, with an irregular cross-hatched texture to it (Saffiano). It is a grey flannel color, with a silky, light silvery bookmark inside. There is a raised Montblanc emblem on the front cover - minimal logo marking, but it looks good. The binding is rounded and stitched with grey and white thread, and the edges of the pages are silver cut. The back of the notebook says Montblanc Made in Italy at the bottom in silver writing. The whole thing looks really great, classy, expensive, and put together.
PERFORMANCE & FEEL
The notebook itself feels great. I love the soft, flexible covers - the notebook felt portable and easy to carry, squeezing in between all my other books and notepads in my bag. The cover held up really well to being scraped and rubbed on other things. The bookmark has not frayed on me, keeping the notebook looking intact.
Although it pained me to do so, I tested pencils, ballpoints, gel pens, and rollerballs. Everything wrote without issue, and actually I found the experience very pleasant because of the slight tooth of the paper. There was no feathering, no bleed through (with normal use - I did have some bleeding when I cut through the page), and show through was low enough that I could use both sides of the page. Markers bled through, of course, but did not feather.
- Paper from responsible sources - FSC™
- Paper is chlorine-free.
- Ruling allows for calligraphy as well as normal writing.
- Beautiful notebook - very elegant and classy. A perfect companion for pretty much any fountain pen.
- Lies flat and opens easily - can use all of the pages.
- Nice tooth to the paper - offers a pleasant writing experience.
- Fountain pen friendly.
- Inks shade well.
- Sheen and particles show up well.
- No bleed through with normal use.
- Low show through.
- No feathering.
- Durable cover, easy to clean.
- Price. It's a little high.
- Ruling is on the wide side, so if you don't intend to use it as demonstrated (for the art of writing, as they say), it may be too much space.
I love this notebook. Like all Montblanc products, it carries a hefty premium, but I dislike very little about it, except for the price tag. The paper is great, offers a pleasant writing experience, and it's fountain pen friendly. The notebook is elegant, classy, and feels great. Gorgeous. It's going to be a little painful to replace this when it's full, but if I use it for very special things, I can extend its life some...